Today, June 14, 2017, marks the first year anniversary of the death of late music producer, Babatunde Jezreel Okungbowa, popularly known as OJB.
The singer died on Tuesday morning, June 14, 2016, following a relapse of a kidney condition.
Here are 12 things you need to know about him:
1. In 2013, OJB suffered from a severe kidney failure which caused him to seek support from friends, family and fans. Over N20m was raised from donations from fans, celebrities and government officials.
2. His wife Mabel ‘Mama J’ Okungbowa donated her kidney at the Colombia Asian Hospital in India where he had gone for a transplant.
3. He dropped his Civil Engineering certificate to chase music and that put a big strain on his relationship with his parents.
4. He is the creative force behind artistes like 2face Idibia, Ruggedman, Jazzman Olofin, Nomoreloss, Raskie, Jafaar and others.
5. The Delta State born entertainer was one of the founding fathers contemporary Nigerian music and pop culture.
6. Although he is originally from Delta, he grew up in a very rich family in Lagos.
7. He started out as a DJ because back then it was much easier to survive as a DJ. He has always loved beats and sounds.
8. According to him, Jazzman Olofin is his only friend.
9. And to everyone he says, you should always keep it simple and humble, not because you are stupid or slow, but because in the end that’s all that counts.
10. OJB has three kids with his first wife Mabel Okungbowa, three with his second, June ‘Ama’ Okungbowa and two with his third, Korede Okungbowa. All three ladies have a deep background in music and entertainment.
11. He had plans of celebrating his 50th birthday which is suppose to be in July 2016, because according to him, life begins at 50.
12. He had an album to his name, the seventeen track album is titled “Jah’s My Lite” which is one of the best Hip-hop album ever released in Nigeria music industry.