Five people have been killed and two more injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them.
Police first received word of an attack in the town of Kongsberg, south-west of the capital Oslo, at 18:13 local time (16:13 GMT).
Two people, including an off-duty police officer, were wounded in the Wednesday evening attacks.
A Danish man, aged 37, has been arrested on suspicion of carrying out the attack.
The attacker is said to have launched the assault inside a Coop Extra supermarket on Kongsberg’s west side. One of those injured was an off-duty police officer who was in the shop at the time.
A spokesperson for the chain later confirmed a “serious incident” at their store, adding that none of their staff were physically injured.
Local police chief, Oyvind Aas, confirmed that the attacker had managed to escape an initial confrontation with police before an arrest was finally made at 18:47 local time, 34 minutes after the attack began.
Police believe he acted alone, and will investigate whether it was an act of terrorism, a spokesman said.
The man, who was held in custody, had cooperated with police and implicated himself in the attacks, although he has not yet entered a plea.
“He is admitting to the facts of the case,” police attorney Ann Iren Svane Mathiassen told news agency NTB.
“We’ll have to see if he also pleads guilty,” she later told private broadcaster TV2.
Police have told the Norwegian news agency NTB that the attacker also used other weapons during the incident, without giving more details on what they were.
The death toll was the worst of any attack in Norway since 2011, when far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them teenagers at a youth camp.
Norway’s outgoing Prime Minister, Erna Solberg, said reports of the incident had been “horrifying”.
“I understand that many people are afraid, but it’s important to emphasise that the police are now in control,” she told a news conference, hours before she was due to leave office.
Norway’s incoming prime minister, Jonas Gahr Stoere, who is due to take power on Thursday after winning a general election last month, said he had been kept informed by the outgoing government.
“What we’ve learned from Kongsberg bears witness of a gruesome and brutal act,” Stoere said in a statement to news agency NTB.
Investigators are considering whether the attacks amounted to an act of terrorism and said they would give more details of the incident later on Thursday.
“He is cooperating and is giving detailed statements regarding this event,” lawyer Fredrik Neumann told public broadcaster NRK.
Additional reporting from BBC and Reuters