The Nigerian Air Force has dismissed claim by Boko Haram that its fighters shut down the missing Alpha jet on Wednesday.
The terrorist group, on Friday, released a video claiming responsibility for bringing down the jet, after the force disclosed that the jet deployed for counterterrorism operation in Borno was missing.
However, in an interview with journalists, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, Director, Public Relations and Information, Nigerian Air Force, Air, said the viral video could be clips from a previous incident, stating that the force will have to investigate the claim.
“We have seen some videos but there is nothing that has proven that the aircraft in those clips belongs to us, or have you seen a Nigerian Air Force aircraft number or the body of Air Force pilot or have you seen any Air Force uniform until we get all these details out, we are not going to go into speculation.
“That video could have been shot somewhere. I have seen four videos so far, one of them has lush vegetation in the background, and I wonder where they have such vegetation in the Northeast. Unless they did something and they are releasing the clips bit by bit, we are waiting.
“Except we have evidence, because like I said, these persons have families and you cannot go to their wives, parents or wards, you must bring concrete evidence. There must be something to show,” he said.