The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), on Wednesday has denied receiving N52.12 billion as claimed by the Federal Government, saying the government is misleading and deceitful.
The denial came after the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, recently reportedly declared that the government has released the sum to ASUU as part of the cumulatively earned allowance owed to the union.
Addressing the press in Kano, the State Zonal Coordinator of the union, Professor Abdulkadir Muhammad, said only N22.17 billion was released as Earned Academic Allowance (EAA) out of which only 75 per cent (N16.6bn) was released to members of the union while the remaining 25 per cent was for other sister unions.
He said: “For the record, the N30 billion out of which N20 billion was released for revitalization was given to university managements to address infrastructural decay on our campuses; no single kobo was given to any member of ASUU (out of this).
“It is also pertinent for the public to note that even the N22.17 billion EAA that was paid, only 75 per cent was due to our members while the remaining 25 per cent was given to other sister unions.
“We, therefore, call on the Minister to always put issues in proper perspective and desist from playing dicey politics with serious national matters like university education of the future leaders of our beloved country.
“Governments at all levels do the needful to address the ravaging insecurity, banditry, kidnappings and incessant killings of innocent Nigerians.”