The Defence Headquarters has reiterated that the terrorist group, Boko Haram, no longer control over any part of the country, especially in the North-East geopolitical region where they once had a stronghold.
Speaking in an interview on Friday, which was Armed Forces Remembrance Day, Major-General John Enenche, Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, said the terrorists are now remnants of a weakened enemy.
“They are moving from bush to enclave and enclave to bush and no longer have any authority or sovereignty on any territory in the northeast and by extension, to Nigeria,” Enenche said on Channels Television’s Politics Today.
According to the Defence spokesperson, the fight against insurgency has been far more progressive under the current administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria made a lot of progress last year in the area of packaging itself to further the defense of this country.”
“As of 2015 before this administration came on board, at least 17 and 20 local governments were strongholds of the insurgents… by 2016 the whole of the northeast was recaptured and the government took back full authority,” he said.
Discussion about this post