Babagana Zulum, Borno State governor, has slammed soldiers stationed in Baga, over Wednesday’s attack on his convoy by suspected members of the Boko Haram insurgents.
Read Also: Mamman Daura Has No Political Background, Only Resides In Aso Rock – Clark
Zulum had left Maiduguri, the state capital, on Monday, for the northern part of the state, in continuation of the food distribution programme which he started earlier in the month.
He was scheduled to visit Baga, a fishing town on the shores of the Lake Chad region in Kukawa Local Government, which was under the control of the insurgents for many years, until the military declared that it had been liberated.
Read Also: Policeman Raped Me After Arresting Me For Not Wearing Face Mask – Widow
However, the governor’s convoy came under attack few kilometres into Baga, forcing him to retreat, as security operatives on escort duties repelled the attackers.
A furious Zulum, who confronted the Commanding Officer in Mile 4, expressed disappointment at the inability of the military to liberate Baga and its environs from the jihadists.
Read Also: Price Hike: Govt Doesn’t Have Money Too, Amaechi Replies Rail Passengers
“You have been here for over one year now, there are 1,181 soldiers here; if you cannot take over Baga which is less than 5 km from your base, then we should forget about Baga. I will inform the Chief of Army Staff to redeploy the men to other places that they can be useful.
Read Also: Soldier Shoots Superior ’36 Times’ For Refusing Him Pass To Visit Family
“You people said there’s no Boko Haram here, then who attacked us?,” he said