“The verdict for Spavor comes after more than two-and-a-half years of arbitrary detention, a lack of transparency in the legal process, and a trial that did not satisfy even the minimum standards required by international law,” he said in a statement.
Spavor was first arrested in 2018, just days after Ms Meng was detained – and was later charged with espionage. His first trial, which took place in March, ended with no verdict.
Canadian diplomats including the charge d’affaires to China were then denied entry to the court.
Spavor is a founding member of the Paektu Cultural Exchange, an organisation which facilitates international business and cultural ties with North Korea.
Canadian ambassador to China Dominic Barton said he “condemned” the conviction.
“There is the opportunity for an appeal,” he told reporters outside the court, according to a report by AFP.
Separately, Michael Kovrig – who faces the same charges – also went to trial in March, though no verdict has been announced.
On Tuesday, another Canadian citizen lost his appeal against a death sentence for drug smuggling in China.
The court said it upheld Robert Lloyd Schellenberg’s sentence because evidence against him was “sufficient”.
Schellenberg was initially sentenced to 15 years in jail, but a few days later, Canada detained Ms Meng on a US extradition warrant.
China at the time warned of unspecified consequences unless Ms Meng was released.
Schellenberg later appealed against the 15-year prison term, but instead of reducing his sentence, judges ruled that his previous sentence had been too light and instead sentenced him to death.
At his hearing, the judges said that evidence proved he was more seriously involved in international drug smuggling.