Fabio Capello, a former England and Juventus coach, has slammed Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for snubbing FIFA’s The Best awards gala on Monday.
Ronaldo was in the final three shortlist alongside eventual winner, Luka Modric and Liverpool forward, Mohamed Salah for the award of best men’s player while Messi received a nomination for the Puskas award for best goal.
“The absence of Ronaldo and Messi? It is a lack of respect, for the players, for FIFA and for the world of football,” Capello told TVE.
“It is possible that they won too much and do not like to lose. In life you have to be good when you win and when you lose.”
Diego Forlan, a former Uruguayan international, also lashed the duo saying they showed a total lack of respect for the world governing body’s awards.
“It’s a pity. Messi attended the gala last year and he didn’t win,” said Forlan. “It’s a pity if it happens the same with Ronaldo than in the UEFA gala.
“It’s an event of every player and it’s important to be here. No matter who wins. A player has to show with his attitude and actions, because they are a model for the world.”
Also, ex-Croatian striker Davor Suker, said the duo needed to be gentlemen both in victory and in defeat.