Giuseppe Conte, Italian Prime Minister, has announced that the Serie A, and all other sporting events has been suspended until April 3, 2020, due to the Coronavirus outbreak in the country.
Italy’s top sports body, the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI), had earlier called for all sports to be stopped until the beginning of next month, and asked the government to issue a decree to enforce the measure.
In a statement released after a meeting between with representatives from all major Italian team sports federations, CONI said: “Health protection is the top priority for everyone.”
Giuseppe has now signed a decree outlawing all public gatherings across the country, including sports events.
The decree comes to effect from Tuesday morning. He also said people should not move other than for work and emergencies.
Serie A had resumed on Sunday with five games played in empty stadiums. There are 12 matches left, with eight-time defending champions, Juventus, holding a one-point lead over Lazio at the top of the table.
Around 16 million people in the northern part of the country are in lockdown, due to the rapid spread of the virus.
Italy has been the European country worst hit by the coronavirus so far, with over 9,000 confirmed cases and 463 deaths.