The Osun State police command says it has commenced investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of a couple in Ilesha area of the state.
The man, Olasunkanmi Eso, 55, and his wife, Fisayo, 50, were found dead in their apartment on October 1.
Although the cause of their death has not been determined, neighbours are suspecting a case of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generating set.
“I want to state that preliminary investigation shows that the power generating set placed close to the kitchen’s window with it’s exhaust pipe facing the window and that of the sitting room’s all of which were left open, was met running by the neighbors that fateful morning,” one of their neighbours, Isaac Haastrup, wrote.
“While not preempting results of the police and medical investigations over the allegation of poisoning, one may not also rule out the possibility of carbon monoxide from the generator contributing to their deaths. We are working on the cause of the deaths and will keep you posted.”
Confirming the incident in a chat with The PUNCH on Sunday, police spokesperson in the state, Yemisi Opalola, said the command is still expecting the report of the autopsy.
Opalola, who called for calm over the tragedy, however, said fumes from the generating set supplying electricity to the apartment occupied by the deceased couple, is strongly suspected as the cause of the death.
She assured that a thorough investigation will be conducted to unravel the mystery behind the incident.
“Mr Eso Olasunkanmi 55-yrs and his wife, Fisayo, 50-yrs of Ireti Ayo along Ijebu-Jesa Rd., Ilesha, were found dead on the floor of their dining room,” she stated.
“The command is still waiting for the autopsy report from the hospital to ascertain the actual cause of their death, please. Fumes from a generating set supplying the apartment occupied by the deceased is strongly suspected. But the thorough investigation would be conducted to determine the cause of the death,” Opalola added.