Former Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, has revealed that discussions to replace Niko Kovac as head coach at Bayern Munich will continue next week.
The Frenchman has been linked with the job, since Kovac’s sacking last week, following the German champions’ humiliating 5-1 defeat at Eintracht Frankfurt in the Bundesliga.
But other reports in Germany had suggested that Wenger made a phone call to Bayern, to register his interest for the job and was turned down immediately.
However, in an interview with BeIN Sport, Wenger claimed Bayern Chairman, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge called him during the week about the job.
He said: “We decided together we will talk next week because I’m in Doha until Sunday. This is the true story. On Wednesday afternoon, Rummenigge called me. I could not answer and by politeness I called him back.
“He was in his car going to the game against Olympiakos. We talked for four to five minutes maximum and he told me they had assigned Hans-Dieter Flick to be the coach –he will manage the next two games.
“He (Rummenigge) asked me if I would be interested because they are looking for a coach. I told him I didn’t have any thoughts about it –it needs some time to have a think about it.”
The Bavarians won 2-0 in th Champions League encounter against the Greek side in Flick’s first game in charge as caretaker manager at the Allianz Arena.
Wenger has been out of managerial job, since he left the Gunners, more than a year ago.
Discussion about this post