Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Governor of Lagos State, has identified the police officers who were involved in the killing of a man during the #EndSARS protest in the state.
Governor Sanwo-Olu made the disclosure at a press briefing at State House, Marina, on Thursday.
According to the Lagos State Police Command, Inspector Erinfolami Ayodeji, a police officer; and Ikechukwu Ilohamauzu, a driver, were killed during the protest clamouring for the scrapping of the now-defunct Federal Special Anti Robbery Squad (F-SARS) of the Nigeria Police Force in the Surulere area of the state on Monday.
Governor Sanwo-Olu said the four officers in connection with the incident have been arrested.
He identified the policemen as two inspectors and two sergeants.
He said: “Also, to mention that Lagos state is taking the issue of police misconduct very seriously, earlier this week, we all recall the incident that happened at the Area C command in Surulere.
“All the four officers have been identified and are going through an orderly trial.
“All the four erring officers whose name I will also mention have also been apprehended and are going through an orderly trial. They are Inspector Bagou Michael, Inspector Ekpoudom Etop, Sergent Nnamdi Madura, and Sergent Akinyemi Benson.”
“All the four officers have been identified and like I said, they’re going through an orderly room trial as we speak.”
Governor Sanwo-Olu also announced the setup of a seven-man judicial panel of enquiry to investigate verified cases of police brutality.
The panel will be chaired by Doris Okuwobi, a retired judge of the Lagos High Court.
Other members are Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society); DIG Taiwo Lakanu (Rtd); Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Segun Awosanya (Human Rights Activist); Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center); as well as a rep/member of the youth-led protest and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.
“They will be given a six-month assignment in the first instance and the details of their terms of reference will be sent out by the attorney-general. There are three numbers that we’ve identified for them, and from Monday, those numbers will go live. The numbers are 09010513203 09010513204 and 09010513205,” he said.
The governor also said he has passed a directive to the Lagos State Police Command requesting that all protesters who were arrested during the protest be released, as demanded by the protesters.
He also announced the setting up a N200 million trust fund that will be managed by the judicial panel set up to compensate victims of police brutality.
He also reiterated that the F-SARS unit of the police force has been disbanded and asked Lagosians to report any officer of the scrapped unit still seen operating in the state.
He noted that the new Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team announced by Mohammed Adamu, the Inspector-General of Police, to replace SARS will begin training next week.
Governor Sanwo-Olu noted that majority of the “5 For 5” demands submitted have been met and, therefore, pleaded with the protesters to suspend their protests in order to allow for the implementation of the reforms of the police force at both the federal and state levels.
“As leaders, if your voices have been heard, if your agitation has been well taken care of, you now need to move on. That’s what we’re asking,” he said.
Nigerians have been protesting in Lagos State and other states of the federation for the past nine days, clamouring for the scrapping of the F-SARS and an end to police brutality and extortion in the country.