Families of victims of the Abule Ado explosion have received cheques of N2.5 million from the Lagos State Government.
Read Also: Principal Who Died Rescuing Students In Lagos Explosion Buried
The explosion, which rocked the Shoba community in Abule Ado on March 15, killed 23 persons, including the Administrator and some workers of the Bethlehem Girls College, and also destroyed over 60 buildings.
Over 586 residents were rendered homeless as a result of the tragedy.
Read Also: I Wasn’t Told We Were Carrying Explosives, Says Ondo Truck Driver
The Punch reports that Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, Director-General of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, said the victims’ families have been invited for verification, identification and collection of the money. He added that 23 families had already received their cheques.
Read Also: There’ll Be Two More Weeks Of Inter-State Lockdown – Governors
Oke-Osanyintolu, in a statement by the LASEMA Public Relations Officer, Nosa Okunbor, on Wednesday, was quoted to have said: “The verbal commitment made by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to assist the victims/families affected by the gas explosion of Sunday, March 15, 2020, in Shoba, Abule-Ado, in the Amuwo Odofin Local Government Area, has been graciously approved by the state Executive Council.
Read Also: Lagos Man Found Dead Inside Container After Sex With Pregnant Lover
“This approval has been conveyed to the victims’ families by the DG/CEO of LASEMA, who highlighted the modalities for collection and how much each victim’s family is entitled to collect. Each named next of kin of a deceased victim will be given N2.5 million by the Lagos State Government.”