A fire incident occurred at the House of Representatives section of the National Assembly (NASS) on Thursday evening.
Newsbreak.ng learnt that the fire destroyed documents and furnitures at a store on the second floor of the building.
The wing houses the offices of the lawmakers, banks, committee rooms, and other private businesses.
Firefighters from the Federal Fire Service and security officials helped in putting out the fire.
Rawlings Agada, the Director of Information, National Assembly, confirmed the incident in a statement on Thursday night.
“There was a fire incident this evening in one of the janitors located on the 2nd Floor, Room 227 in the New Wing of the House of Representatives, suspected to have resulted from an electrical fault which was noticed by one of the staff members attached to the Clerk, House of Representatives, who promptly alerted the Federal Fire Service unit stationed in the National Assembly Complex,” the statement reads in part.
“Accordingly, the fire have been put out with the assistance of staff members on duty who immediately broke into the affected office and effectively deployed stationed fire extinguishers on the floor before the arrival of the fire service officers.”
See some photos below: