Armed men have reportedly abducted 50 persons in an attack on Tungar Baushe community in Mutunji district, Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
It was gathered that houses were also burnt during the attacks which occurred on Wednesday night.
Daily Trust reports that the gunmen had earlier asked the residents of the community to pay a fixed levy to avoid being attacked.
However, it was reported that the residents chose to escape to a neighbouring community known as Ruwan Tofa.
Their action was said to have provoked the suspected bandits, who stormed Ruwan Tofa and identified those who had fled from Tungar Baushe.
“The armed men then came and began to burn grain stores and houses of the residents. They intercepted some of the residents who had ran to take cover at Ruwan Tofa community. They also came to Tungar Baushe and abducted 50 persons there.
“They did not spare any one including women, nursing mothers and children. They herded them into bush. We are now counting losses following this attack even though no one was killed,” a resident was quoted to have said.
The police command has not confirmed the incident, which is the first major attack since the Federal Government declared Zamfara a no-fly zone earlier in the week.