Tragedy struck one of Nigeria’s power distribution companies in Nigeria, Ikeja Electric when one of its technicians was electrocuted while fixing wires to connect a prepaid meter to a pole at Abule Egba area of Lagos State Friday afternoon.
It was gathered that two staff of Ikeja Electric came to a house along Ekoro Road at Abule Egba in Agbado Oke-Odo Local Council Development Area (LCDA) to fix a prepaid meter and connect light into a house along the road. One of Ikeja Electric staff, a technician, who people around the area called Lookman, climbed the pole to fix the wires of the prepaid meter when suddenly there was a spark, the technician, who had fastened his belt to the pole, was seen dangling on the pole.
This attracted many people while Ekoro Road was immediately condoned off by some youth to prevent movement of vehicles. Effort to rescue the technician proved abortive as his colleague was no where to be found only for him to return few minutes later to inform the people that he had to run to a nearby transformer to switch off the light.
It was at this time that the lifeless body of Lookman was taking off the pole with the help of youths and other sympathizers and was rushed to a nearby hospital on popular tricycle, Keke NAPEP.
Remote cause of what happened could not be determined as at the time of this report, but people discussing the incident around the place said they suspected that the gloves which the technician was wearing on his hands were tear.
It was, however, not certain if the fixing of the prepaid meter by Lookman and his colleague was an official or one of the rackets known of men of power distribution company in Nigeria of late.
Ikeja Electric Plc is the largest Nigerian power distribution company. It is based in Ikeja, capital of the state of Lagos
Newsbreak.ng is a publication of Platinum Crest Communications Limited. We are a broad-spectrum source of credible, useful and timely news, features and opinions, especially as they affect Nigerians at home and in the diaspora.