Juventus have relieved manager, Maurizio Sarri, of his position at the club, following their Champions League Round of 16 exit in the hands of Olympique Lyonnais on Friday.
Goal.com reports that official confirmation of Sarri’s sack is expected to be released by the club later on Saturday.
The publication said the Italian champions’ hierarchy held a meeting following the club’s failure to progress to the quarter-finals of Europe’s premier club competition, with Sarri’s future at the club the only point on the agenda.
It said it was decided at the meeting, that the 61-year-old former Chelsea and Napoli boss is no longer the man to take the club forward.
The Old Lady had signed Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid last year, making it clear that their intention is to win the Champions League after several years of near-misses.
It was further reported said that it was not the first time Sarri’s future had been called into question at the Italian club, despite leading them to a ninth successive Scudetto.
He admitted himself that he had been struggling to impose his famous ‘Sarriball’ style on the squad.
After the first leg defeat against Lyon, the Italian stated that his charges had been moving the ball too slow, but that he would continue working with his players until “sooner or later this concept will get into their heads”.
Lyon, though lost 2-1 away at Juventus, the French side booked their place in the last eight on away goals rule, after 2-2 aggregate score.