A midnight fire incident has left a couple in anguish after their four boys died from the inferno.
The couple, Mr and Mrs Chukwudi Michael, were sleeping in their room with their eight-year-old daughter when the inferno started in the room where the four boys slept in the Ikorodu area of Lagos.
Jeremiah, their 12-year-old son, died on the spot while the three others, Prayer, 18; Trust in God, 14; and Ebube, 10, sustained severe burns and were rushed to a hospital, where they died a few days later.
“After waking up, I alerted neighbours who helped me break the windows of the boys’ room because their door was locked. We rescued three boys from the fire, but one had already been burnt to death. We rushed them immediately to a hospital with the help of a neighbour’s car, but we eventually lost them,” their 46-year-old father told Punch.
The distraught father noted that men of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service only came in the morning when neighbours had put out the fire.
However, the Public Education Officer of the state fire service, Amodu Shakiru, stated that the fire was put out by firefighters, adding that five persons were rescued.
“We rescued five persons and recovered the burnt body of a teenager,” he said.
According to the couple, they had no idea how the fire started.
Discussion about this post