A security guard, identified as Solomon Ede, has reportedly died after falling asleep with his face mask in Alako area of Abeokuta, Ogun State.
Read Also: Nigeria’s COVID-19 Cases Started Declining After Churches Were Reopened – Oyedepo
The Nation reports that Ede was said to always wear his face mask, as part of measures to protect himself from contracting COVID-19.
However, it was gathered that the 50-year-old drank some glasses of local gin, popularly known as Ogogoro, before going to bed with his face mask on.
Read Also: Magu’s Spiritual Guide Files N5bn Suit Against FCMB Over False Report
His lifeless body was discovered face down, suggesting that he died of suffocation from the face mask.
Neighbours who came to fetch water in the house where the deceased worked as security banged on the gate of the building endlessly.
It was said that the noise at the gate alerted Ede’s boss, who opened the gate for the neighbours and decided to check on him in his room.
Read Also: Man Steals FRSC Van In Abuja
The boss was said to have noticed that the door to Ede’s room was locked, which he forced open.
He found the security guard lying face down on the bed lifeless with his face mask still on his face.
The boss raised the alarm, which attracted other residents to the building.
Read Also: Boko Haram Setting Up Camps In Abuja, Planning Attacks – Report
The deceased’s boss reported the matter at Kemta, Idi Aba police division in the state.
According to the publication, some people blamed the deceased’s tragic death on his obsession with alcohol.
“But for the noise from those who came to fetch water in the early hours of the day, no one would have known that a tragedy had occurred.
Read Also: Jihadists In Burkina Faso Made $140m From Gold Mines In Four Years – Report
“It was when the deceased failed to come out of his apartment to attend to those fetching water in the premises of the house that his boss came out and discovered his body,” a neighbour said.
Another neighbour disclosed that was warned against wearing his face mask to bed.
“He usually removed his face mask before going to bed. But he took some ogogoro late in the evening and was downcast. Those who saw him at the entrance of his apartment asked him to remove the mask on his face and go to bed, but he refused.
Read Also: FRSC Sacks 18 Officers, Demotes Others For Bribery, Other Offences
”However, he went to bed forgetting to remove his face mask and slept face down. He was probably choked to death by the face mask,” the neighbour said.