Journalists listed to cover Tuesday’s induction ceremony of the six newly acquired A-29 Super Tucano aircraft by the Nigerian Air Force (NAF), were reportedly barred from gaining entrance to the Presidential Air Fleet Apron of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.
Daily Trust reports that armed security operatives from both military and para-military organisations stationed at the venue of the ceremony and other strategic locations at the airport, told reporters that the event had been postponed.
However, the newspaper said a top official of the United States embassy in Nigeria disclosed that the induction ceremony was done “quietly”.
But the US official said he had no knowledge about why journalists were kept out of the event.
Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, spokesman of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF), had on July 22, 2021, announced the arrival of the first batch of six A-29 Super Tucano aircraft in Kano.
He disclosed that the aircraft were received by the Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi, alongside Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya, and the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Oladayo Amao.
There is anticipation in the country that the acquisition of the fighter aircrafts will help the military in the fight against banditry and insurgency.