Residents in a neighbourhood have reportedly been showing signs of ‘highness’, being under the influence of cannabis, since a farm growing the outlawed plant got burnt on Tuesday night. The farm, located in a flat, caught fire filling a neighbouring cul-de-sac with drug-fueled smoke. Children, according to an affected parent, have been vomiting since the incident happened in Weaste, Salford, United Kingdom. Gaynor Turner, 53, said the smell was ‘horrendous’ and said residents were shocked to discover cannabis was being grown at the house.
“I was sat in my house with my granddaughter when I saw the flames.
“The dog was hanging out of a window trying to escape. The smell was horrendous – it was so strong.
“Once the flames were really high and the smoke was coming from the roof, you could really smell it. It was disgusting.
“One of my neighbours came into my house with her five-year-old, who was sick everywhere because of the fumes.
“I’ve lived here for 17 years. I can’t believe there was a cannabis farm there,” she said.
Another neighbour, who asked not to be named, said someone had suggested they should be happy since the ‘highness’ came on a free.
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police confirmed a cannabis farm was discovered at the home following reports of a fire – and that a 43-year-old man was arrested and bailed pending further enquiries. Firefighters tackled the flames at around 7.15pm but the roof of the semi-detached home was left badly damaged and the adjoining property was left badly charred. No-one was inside the property at the time, but a dog was rescued by fire crews.
By Adebayo Williams