A plumber, Emeka Okpala, drowned and died while installing a pumping machine in a well on Oladogba Street, Ikosi-Ketu, Lagos. Okpala, who was a newly-wed, was said to have tied a rope to a generator to help him descend the well but apparently, his weight was too much for the generator making it plunge into the well hitting him. A resident who had noticed what had happened called the fire service which brought him out of the well. The firemen were said to have been alerted late as he died before they reached the hospital. Another resident, Bilikisu Idris, told Punch Metro that the person that contracted him could have saved his life if he had raised the alarm on time.
The Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, confirmed the incident, saying that the corpse was handed over to policemen from the Alapere division who deposited it in a morgue. Fadipe, who expressed anger at the incident, appealed to residents who wished to work on their wells, to seek the assistance of the agency.