Police have said that a letter claiming responsibility has been found on the scene of the Dortmund bus attack. The attack has been described as a ‘targeted attack’.
The Borussia Dortmund team bus had been making its way out of the team hotel before the bombs went off injuring defender, Marc Batra who will undergo surgery on his wrist.
Goal reports that were unable to specify what type of explosives were used but they described the devices as “serious”, stating they believed they had been hidden under a hedge next to a car park.
Police chief Gregor Lange said: “This evening, there were three explosions at 7:15 in the area surrounding the hotel in which BVB had been a guest.
“We assume that it was a targeted attack on BVB’s team. The services were tasked with securing the crime scene on a large scale.
“We decided at a very early stage not to rule anything out. At the present time, the concrete background for this act is not yet clear.
“I would like to express thanks for the good co-operation with BVB. We’re preparing for a large-scale operation tomorrow [Wednesday]. The protective measures for the teams have already begun. Bomb detection dogs are still in use.”
Lucke added: “The investigation is being carried out based on suspicion of attempted murder. A letter was found near the crime scene. We are checking its authenticity intensively.
“We found someone taking responsibility for the attack in the letter. Due to the investigation, we cannot comment further on this.
“Another object that did not explode was found. Our current point of view is that it was a dummy.”