A toxicology report has shown that a exceedingly high level of fentanyl was found in the system of Pop star, Prince, which led to his death.
Associated Press reported that the report, which is said to have been confidential, gives a glimpse into how much fentanyl was flowing through the singer’s body when he died in 2016.
According to the AP, the concentration of fentanyl in Prince’s blood was 67.8 micrograms per liter. The report notes people have died from as little as 3 micrograms per liter, and as high as 58.
A medical expert quoted by the AP, Dr. Lewis Nelson of Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, calls the level of fentanyl in Prince’s blood “exceedingly high” … even for someone who’s a chronic pain patient, he adds.
The toxicology also reportedly shows Prince’s liver had a concentration of 450 micrograms per kilogram — while also noting that levels beyond 69 micrograms per kilogram often signal overdose or fatal toxicity cases.
Experts cited in the report also say there were potentially lethal amounts of fetanyl in Prince’s stomach, and that he likely took the drug orally.
Prince was 57 when he was found and unresponsive in an elevator at his Paisley Park estate on April 21, 2016.
Public data released showed that he died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid 50 times more powerful than heroin.