First Lady Oluremi Tinubu, on Friday, in the presidential villa, Abuja, received Rebecca Kabu, one of the 277 Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014.
In the company of the Wife of the vice president, Nana Shettima, the first lady promised to ensure that Ms Kabu was well taken care of medically and fit to return to school willingly.
Mrs Tinubu appreciated the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA), National Intelligence Agency (NIA) and other security agencies and people involved in Ms Kabu’s rescue.
“Rebecca will be our first comeback story and returnee; she is our first fruit; she is a case I am quite interested in to see that she can go back to school at her own pace,’’ Mrs Tinubu said.
She promised that Kabu would be one of the first recipients of her free education benevolence.
The First Lady said the younger ones, if well educated, would be able to fit into society and inherit the good legacies the older ones are leaving behind.
“We pray and continue to pray that all our children that are still with Boko Haram will come back home; we are waiting in earnest. We have not given up hope, I am sure that by the time she is reunited with her parents, she will be glad,’’ the first lady said.
Responding, Kabu, in her low voice, told Tinubu that she could barely understand the English Language, but the first lady condoled her, saying that she would overcome it.
Earlier, Rear Admiral Yaminu Musa, the coordinator of the Counter-Terrorism Centre, NSA, said Kabu, kidnapped at age 13 in 2014 and now 22 years old, was rescued by the government security agencies on July 17.
He said the returnee had been certified medically and mentally fit to be reunited with her parents in Zana village in Borno state.
He said the NSA office would subsequently follow up and present her case alongside the 15 other rehabilitated girls rescued for federal government education support.