The body of the boy who was snatched from his family by an alligator on Tuesday at the Walt Disney World in Orlando has been found intact. Sheriff of Orange County, Jerry Demings, said there was no reason to doubt that the body found was that of the toddler, identified as Lane Graves. Demings said rescue operations had been called after they had come up with nothing in 15 hours. He said the search was stopped because it was obvious the toddler could not have survived 15 hours in the water with the creature. The body was, however, found after 17 hours of searching the Seven Seas Lagoon.
“His body was completely intact.
“The body has now been turned over to the Orange County medical office for an autopsy.
“Of course, the family was distraught but also, I believe, somewhat relieved that we were able to find their son with his body intact,” Demings said.
It was reported that during the search, wildlife officials caught and killed five alligators and have promised to use forensics to determine whether they had eliminated the exact one which killed the toddler. They vowed to continue searching for the one which murdered Graves.
Observer had slammed the management of the resort saying its warning signs were not detailed enough to discourage swimmers from the lake. They said, as compared to neighbouring resorts which had signs such as ‘no swimming, beware of alligators’, Disney had warnings as simple as, ‘no swimming’.
Walt Disney Company chairman and CEO Bob Iger called Lane’s devastated family and also issued a statement offering his condolences.
“As a parent and a grandparent, my heart goes out to the Graves family during this time of devastating loss.
“My thoughts and prayers are with them, and I know everyone at Disney joins me in offering our deepest sympathies,” the statement read.
The victim’s father, Mathew Graves, was said to have tried to wrestle him free from the jaws of the reptile without success. He had suffered lacerations to his arm during his attempt at rescuing his son. A lifeguard told Mail Online that contrary to claims that the toddler and his mother, Melissa, had been one feet into the water, they had been 10 feet into the water before tragedy struck. He, however, said 10 feet was still a safe distance for swimmers to be.
Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
Newsbreak.ng is a publication of Platinum Crest Communications Limited. We are a broad-spectrum source of credible, useful and timely news, features and opinions, especially as they affect Nigerians at home and in the diaspora.