A selfie is a self-portrait type image, typically taken with a smartphone which may be held in the hand or supported by a selfie stick.
There is so much buzz surrounding selfies that Time Magazine in 2012 included it in its top 10 buzzwords for that year and its use has skyrocketed
As selfies continue to remain relevant till present day 2019, here are some interesting facts you should know about 2013’s word of the year.
1. Designer/photographer Jim Krause claims to have coined the term selfie sometime in 2005.
2. Selfie was officially added to OxfordDictinaries.com in August 2013.
3. The first time that #selfie was used was in 2004 on Flickr.
4. According to research, the word selfie first appeared on September 13, 2002, on the ABC online forum in Australia.
5. The word selfie in the English language has skyrocketed in use. It has increased by 17,000% since 2012.
6. During Myspace’s heyday (around 2006-09) self-portraits, known as Myspace pics, were common. These were usually poor quality images in front of a bathroom mirror. The switch to Facebook created a decline in amateur self-portraits, but the release of the iPhone 4 and its front-facing camera lead to a resurgence of the self-portrait in 2010-11.
7. Samsung discovered that selfies make up 30% of the photos taken by people between the ages of 18–24.