A staff of Ikeja Electric, 40-year-old Adebowale Ogunbanwo, has died from electrocution while working on a high-tension transformer in Dopemu area of Lagos State, southwest Nigeria,.
The unfortunate incident happened when the late Ogunbanwo was working on the transformer on Oke Street while power was suddenly restored in the area.
According to am Inside Mainland report, the Ikeja Electric technician fell from the transformer and landed on a container, smashing his skull in the process. The incident occurred on 7 September, 2021
A resident of the area disclosed that the technician was rushed to the Orile-Agege General Hospital at Ile-Epo where a doctor on duty confirmed him dead.
The resident, who gave his name only as Adesoji, added that some staff of the power distribution company were on duty at the time and had disconnected power in the area, adding that Ogunbanwo, who was not part of the team, took advantage of the situation to “unofficially” work on the high-tension transformer after he was contracted by some residents.
He said, “The death was a result of carelessness. From what we gathered, he took advantage of the presence of some power distribution operators, who were working in the area. It appeared that those people had permission for their operation, but he used that opportunity to work on the transformer.
“While he was carrying out his work, he did not know that the people who obtained a permit to work had completed their job and moved to switch on the power supply in the area.
“It was when they switched power on that the guy, who was still working on the transformer, got electrocuted.
“The connection he was trying to do got him electrocuted. When the electric current grabbed him, he fell from that height and landed on a container. He hit his head on iron and died,” the resident disclosed.
The Head, Corporate Communications, Ikeja Electric, Felix Ofulue, while commiserating with Ogunbanwo’s family, said the company was conducting an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death.
He said, “It was a rather unfortunate situation. Investigation is currently ongoing internally to establish the circumstances that led to the electrocution.
Newsbreak.ng is a publication of Platinum Crest Communications Limited. We are a broad-spectrum source of credible, useful and timely news, features and opinions, especially as they affect Nigerians at home and in the diaspora.