Manchester United could be closing in on their fifth summer signing with Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka.
Newsbreak.ng reports that the 33-year-old Slovakian international is wanted as United look for a back-up to current first choice David de Gea, as Dean Henderson joined Nottingham Forest on loan.
The Reds have made an offer for the loan of Newcastle shot-stopper, with an option to buy, according to reports.
Below are some of the things you may not have heard or read about the goalkeeper:
- Dúbravka is a third-generation goalkeeper: his father and grandfather also played in the position.
- Dúbravka has been dubbed the “quintessential sweeper-keeper” due to his “outstanding footwork” and he believes “in modern football the keeper’s almost like a libero. You need to play with the ball, not just kick it long”.
- Louise Taylor of The Guardian christened Dúbravka the “reluctant keeper” after he admitted his favourite position to play is right wing; he sometimes plays as an outfielder in training and coaching staff have suggested that he switch to a midfield role.
- Dubravka lives with his girlfriend Lucia, and his dog. The couple had their first child in March 2021.
- He was Newcastle United Player of the Year: 2020.