Troops of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), a special task force in Plateau State, have arrested 12 suspects in connection with the attack that occurred on Saturday in the state.
At least 22 travellers were massacred after Saturday attack, which occurred along Rukuba road, in Jos North Local Government Area of the state.
The attack was said to have targeted a convoy of buses conveying some worshippers returning to Ondo after attending an Islamic programme in Bauchi.
Fourteen others were also injured in the attack.
According to a statement by Ishaku Takwa, spokesman of the OPSH, the suspects are currently undergoing interrogation.
“This morning, our troops swiftly responded to distress calls that suspected hoodlums blocked a junction along Rukuba road in Jos North and attacked some commuters,” he said.
“Troops immediately mobilised to the scene and restored normalcy.
“Unfortunately, some persons lost their lives in the unfortunate incident, while others with varying degree of injuries have been evacuated to a medical facility for care.
“So far, 12 suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident and troops are on the trail of others, who took part in the heinous act.
“Those arrested are currently in custody for interrogation.”
Takwa added that Ibrahim Ali, commander of the task force, has called on members of the public to volunteer credible information that would lead to the arrest of other suspects, currently at large.
He appealed to residents of the area to be calm, law abiding and continue with their lawful activities without any fear of intimidation.
The OPSH spokesman also noted that security personnel have stepped up patrol in Jos metropolis to maintain peace and security.