Two bullets have been extracted from the body of Oba Adetutu Ajayi, the Elewu of Ewu Ekiti, who was shot by gunmen suspected to be kidnappers on Friday.
Segun Erinle, a commissioner in Ekiti State House of Assembly Commission, disclosed this in an interview on Sunday.
Masked gunmen had on Friday attacked the monarch along the Ayetoro Ekiti-Ewu Road by firing at his vehicle and, in the process, injured the traditional ruler.
According to Erinle, who is also an indigene of Ewu Ekiti, Oba Ajayi is recovering in the hospital, where he was rushed for medical attention.
He also stated that calm has returned to the community following reports of the monarch’s recovery in hospital.
He said: “The Elewu is responding to treatment. He is feeling better. Bullets have been extracted, we thank God. Two bullets were extracted from Kabiyesi’s body.
“The tension in the community has gone down. We have calmed the people down. The police and operatives of the Amotekun Corps have been around and have been patrolling the town. Everything is calm now. Moreover that the Kabiyesi is getting better.”
Recalling the details of the attack according to the monarch’s account, Erinle said: “According to information and what Kabiyesi told me, he was returning from Ayetoro Ekiti to Ewu, where he went to buy something. Many times, he prefers to go himself by way of driving as a form of exercise. On his way back, he said he met the masked criminals at a spot, where the road was bad, and they started shooting.
“So, he stopped and they told him that they would kill him. They took his phones and money, which was about N100,000, and in the process, Kabiyesi just drove off. That was how he managed to escape from them. But they rained bullets on his car as he drove off.
“I still charge the police and other security agencies to try their best to arrest the culprits and as well increase the security outreach in all our towns and villages in the state, especially those of us that are near the border towns.”
The Ekiti Police Public Relations Officer, Sunday Abutu, said the command was making efforts to arrest the culprits, adding that no arrest had been made so far.