An official of the United States has revealed that Nigeria paid $500 million for the new Tucano fighter jets acquired recently by the federal government, Daily Trust reports.
Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, spokesman of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF), had on July 22, 2021, announced the arrival of the first batch of six A-29 Super Tucano aircraft in Kano.
He disclosed that the aircraft were received by the Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi, alongside the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya, and the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Oladayo Amao.
However, the newspaper did not clarify if the huge sum also covers the remaining jets that are still being expected from the US, with the number unknown.
It was reported on Tuesday that journalists were barred from the induction ceremony of the first batch of the fighter jets which held at the Presidential Air Fleet Apron of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.
Security operatives were said to have told reporters that the event had been postponed.
However, an official of the US embassy in Nigeria said the induction ceremony was done “quietly” and it was not clear why newsmen were kept out.