A spokesman of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, also known as Shiites, has reacted to the labelling of the movement as a ‘terrorist group’ by a Federal High Court in Abuja.
Reuters reports that a spokesman of the movement, said although the group has not received any formal notice from the court, but said marches would continue.
He said plans to ban the movement had been considered since 2015 and it was not surprised by the move.
A Nigerian court on Friday granted the government permission to label the group a terrorist organisation and also ban it.
Justice Nkeonye Maha issued the order in a ruling on an exparte motion brought by the “Attorney-General of the Federation” before the court on Thursday.
The matter was argued on behalf of the government by the Solicitor-General of the Federation and Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Justice, Dayo Apata.
However, the group had no representatives in court on Friday.
Justice Maha restrained “any person or group of persons” from participating in any form of activities involving or concerning the IMN “under any name or platform” in Nigeria.