A 60-year-old woman has died in Australia while taking part in an eating contest on Sunday.
The woman was said to have died after suffering a seizure while attempting to eat as many lamingtons as possible at an event to mark Australia Day.
Lamingtons are a traditional sponge cake covered in chocolate and desiccated coconut.
According to eyewitnesses, the deceased had crammed one of the cakes into her mouth when she appeared to get into difficulties.
The woman was given CPR at the scene of the incident, a hotel in Hervey Bay, Queensland, and taken to hospital but later died.
The Beach House Hotel in Hervey Bay posted a message on Facebook expressing condolences to the family and friends of the woman, who has not been named.
They thanked the ambulance service for their “prompt and professional response while this tragic incident was unfolding”.
Eating competitions are a popular game during Australia Day, a national holiday marking the arrival of the first Europeans to Australia.
Contestants usually win prizes for eating as many cakes, pies, hot dogs or other food in a limited time.
Discussion about this post