Yunis Usman, counsel to the late Iyan Zazzau, Bashar Aminu, has withdrawn the case instituted by his client against the Kaduna State Government over the Zazzau throne.
This followed Aminu’s demise on January 1, 2021.
According to Daily Trust, Usman, a senior advocate, in a telephone interview on Wednesday, said he applied to withdraw the case and had been struck out.
“We were supposed to continue the hearing of the case today (Wednesday), unfortunately, on the 1st day of January, 2020, the plaintiff, our client, Iyan Zazzau died in Lagos,” he was quoted to have said.
“And because we call this type of case a personal case since it is not like a case that the heirs can step into the shoes of the person.
“This type of case dies with the person who instituted the action so we have no option than to withdraw the case.
“We applied to withdraw the case and the case was withdrawn and struck out.”
Aminu was until his death involved in a legal tussle with the Kaduna government over the selection of Ahmed Nuhu Bamali as Emir of Zazzau, after the death of the 18th emir, Shehu Idris, on September 20th 2020.
He was said to be one of the top contenders for the stool of Zazzau Emirate.
The late price had in October 2020, asked a Kaduna State High Court sitting in Zaria to set aside the appointment of Bamalli as the 19th Emir of Zazzau and declare him, Aminu, as the rightful monarch.
He had asked the court to declare him as the duly selected emir, based on the selection of the kingmakers which took place on September 24, 2020.
As one of the 11 initial applicants for the throne after the demise of Idris, Aminu was among the top three who made the first list in the selection process by the kingmakers on September 24.
He was said to have scored the highest point, putting him ahead of two other princes; the Yariman Zazzau, Muhammad Munir Jafaru from the Barebari dynasty and Turakin Zazzau, Aminu Shehu Idris, from the Katsinawa dynasty.
However, Bamalli was eventually announced as the Emir of Zazzau exactly a week after governor Nasir El-Rufai ordered for a fresh selection process that expanded the list of contenders to 13.